Tuesday, January 05, 2021

2020: The Year That Wasn't...


Forgive me, if I decide to spare us all from my standard "year in review" post. I think we can all agree that this year was ANYTHING but standard...

It seems like it was so long ago... New Year's Eve 2019 fell on a Tuesday. Megan had to work late, so any sort of evening frivolities weren't really possible. It's not like we really WANTED to get out and about in all that craziness, but it's nice to at least have the OPTION. So, we rang in the new year at Megan's place. I remember sitting on Megan's couch (well, not really a couch... more like a REALLY tiny loveseat) and ringing in 2020. I had that feeling of relief wash over me, because 2019 just wasn't a good year (does that sound familiar?)… For the life of me, I can't even remember WHY I thought 2019 was so horrid, but I remember thinking along the lines of "thank GOD this year is almost over, we can start fresh with 2020." 

We all know how 2020 turned out. To call it a dumpster fire wouldn't be fair to dumpsters... or fires. It seems like so much harm was done. The world of politics will probably never be the same. How kids go to school has changed. How we celebrate holidays changed. So many jobs lost. So many people died. But... is it possible that there was some actual good that came out of this year? Let's take a look, shall we?

I got a new roomie!
In January, Megan and I signed the official paperwork... ok, not THAT official paperwork... but the forms that made us the tenants of a pretty little house in Moore, Oklahoma. I moved in to the new abode in February, Megan moved in after her lease was up in March. She moved in RIGHT as the pandemic was starting to pick up speed, so we went through that first "hunker down" together. We've hit a few bumps here and there, but nothing that we couldn't overcome. I think we have a pretty good little routine and we enjoy living with each other. Right, Megan? Megan... hello? Anyone? lol

Rockin' that 4.0
Four semesters later, I'm still kickin' ass and taking names on my graduate degree. I have taken some pretty amazing classes that have opened my eyes to a lot of other opportunities on what I can do with my degree once I graduate. I completed my first year of practicum, which I was able to complete out at Firstep. It has been a total blessing to get to finish practicum WHILE I'm at work. So many people have to struggle balancing schedules of work, school AND practicum hours. I've enjoyed my field instructor. She's a bit of an ass-kicker, but that's what I need from time to time. It's so exciting to think that, by this time next year, I'll be a college graduate... again!

3 Years and Going STRONG!
In November of 2020, I celebrated 3 years of maintained sobriety. It hasn't been an easy year, by far. I'm so glad that I had a little bit of time under my belt before the pandemic hit. The people that are starting to get sober in this time are stronger than they realize. I admire the hell out of the guys that have stuck it out while at Firstep. Quarantine has cancelled passes, limited visitation and just about put a kink in every "perk" the guys get while trying to complete the program. The majority of them do it without a whole bunch of complaining. Those guys that DO complain, well... I understand where they're coming from. I didn't go to a single in-person meeting since March. AA meetings have resorted to using ZOOM, which I just can't get into. It's so impersonal. I already use Zoom for school and work, so I hate using it for my recovery as well. I've been fortunate to have a pretty good system of recovery in place, because I would NOT recommend that anyone go without a meeting for this long. As soon as I feel comfortable, my ass is going to be in one of those chairs at Live and Let Live.

Joe Biden For President!
In national news, the country managed to vote out Donald Trump! This blog is meant to be a form of meditation and relaxation for me, and the topic of politics is NOT relaxing or meditative... so we'll just leave it at that. January 20, 2021 will ring in a new era (hopefully) of positivity in this country.

Shoot Me Up!
I feel it is worth mentioning that I just received news that I'm eligible for the next round of vaccines for COVID. I was certain I wasn't going to get access to it until at LEAST the Summer.... so I'm pretty stoked. Yes, I said stoked. Megan has already gotten the vaccine. If I can just get Mom and Nick their shots, I'll be a happy camper. I know it is mainly symbolic, but I feel like it kind of closes a nasty chapter... at least for those that are close to me. I know so many others have a long and difficult road. But, hopefully before too long, we can get the remnants of 2020 behind us and enjoy an amazing 2021!

No comments: