Monday, December 20, 2021

The Vows...


 Megan Cherie… Megaroo… Meggles…Megaroni…

 

We have been together for 1,649 days. We’ve made it through a worldwide pandemic, a presidential election, a record-breaking snowstorm, lots of storms in general, loss of family members and friends, thinking we were about to get shot at Penn Square Mall, addiction, grad school, new jobs, moving in together and planning a wedding together. If we can make it through all of that, I’m confident that you and I can make it through pretty much anything… together. We’ve also celebrated together. Holidays. Birthdays. “Sober-versaries.” Road trips. We’ve seen sooooo many movies together. Season after season of Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Big Brother, every ghost-hunting TV show you can think of and cheering on our favorite wrestlers on WWE. We’ve had some amazing times together… and they’ve only just begun.

 

1,649 days!

 

I’m not too proud to admit that I haven’t been the world’s best boyfriend or fiancée during some of those days, but you’ve loved me anyway. You’ve been my cheerleader. A pseudo-sponsor on those difficult days, a study partner, my one-woman pride parade, an advocate, and a best friend.

 

1,649 days. But this is day one. Now it’s my turn to step up the plate. I promise to love you no matter how big or small our bank account is. I will cheer you on, no matter if you decide to be the world’s best Medicaid biller and collector or wherever your heart takes you.  Whether we live in a tiny apartment under a family of tap-dancing elephant trainers or a home of our very own. I will love you no matter how big or small our waistlines get. I promise to ask you whether you are looking for a solution… or if you just need to vent. Surely, we’ll experience some more tough days… but we’ll also celebrate so many big days together.

 

I remember days of sitting on the back porch at the Men’s Firstep Program, talking with my fellow clients, and sharing our story of how you and I came to be and all that you and I have been through. They’d see you every single weekend. They’d refer to you as my “old lady.” After getting used to that term, I’d smile and nod and say, “yeah she is!” They’d be sure to tell me “Bro, she’s a good one. She’s a keeper. You need to make sure to hold on to that one.” And I plan on it.

No comments: