Wednesday, April 22, 2020

A (TV) Review for YOU! Special... A Return to "Hill House..."


"The Haunting of Hill House" debuted to unsuspecting audiences around the world in October of 2018. The limited series on Netflix was presented as a totally different spin on the novel of the same name by Jackson and/or a different take on the movie "The Haunting" starring Liam Neeson that came out in 1999. I haven't had a chance to read the book (Megan says that it's good, just VERY different than the series) yet, but I can tell you that it is a MASSIVE improvement on the movie that came out in '99. Man, that movie sucked...

ANYWAYS... I originally watched the series shortly after it came out. I watched a couple of the episodes and then decided that I wanted to try and get Megan hooked into it as well. I definitely did. Our "vacation" to Dallas wound up turning into us dividing up time between a hotel room binge-fest of the show and occasionally running downstairs to the pool/hot tub. It was a surprisingly awesome little trip! Megan would (probably) say that the best part of the trip was going down to Magnolia/Waco. I would say it was finishing the show up in our room, and the scary and/or funny times we had.

Funny times, you say? Yep. Let me tell you about probably one of the funniest things that has EVER happened to me. One of the last nights we were there, Megan and I had the TV turned up louder than usual, to compete with the room next to us . During an intense conversation in one of the later episodes (I won't tell you which one) there is probably one of the best BOO! GOTCHA! moments I've ever experienced in any sort of movie or tv show. EVER. So amazing. Anyways, that scene happened... which caused Megan to scream very loudly and me to yell out "FUUUUUUUUUUU..." (you get the point) even louder. The room next to us got temporarily quiet lol. We eventually finished the series, checked out of the hotel and made our way back home. A great trip and an AWESOME show.

Recently, I was searching for something to "watch" while I did my homework (aka... have it on in the background while I write. I can sorta kinda pay attention to it or leave it) or during periods where I wanted to nap. For some reason I decided to watch this. It COMPLETELY failed, because I wasn't able to just "sorta kinda" pay attention and I most definitely wasn't able to nap. It captured my full-on attention again. Not quite two years later, and I had forgotten that the show was that good.

I'll skip the brief plot analysis. You probably know it by now. Or, at least, you should. The character development is top notch. They found such a great way to put together these great stories for the characters as individuals as well as how the characters interact with the group as a whole. Just like the Walking Dead is really a character-driven show that just happens to have zombies in it, "Haunting of Hill House" is a very character-driven show that just happens to take place partially in a haunted mansion. However, the mansion itself does become a sort of secondary character. You find yourself wanting to learn about its story or how it became the way it is when we first see it.

Out of 10 episodes, there are like maybe FIVE good BOO! GOTCHA! moments. But there are plenty of times where you are on the edge of your seating waiting for one. Usually, in scary movies, we DREAD dialogue. Like, just get to the scary part already! I think, in "Haunting," the dialogue really is the cherry on top of the show. The intense, yet thoughtful conversations between sisters Theo and Shirley as they drive down the road... or the conversation between son Steve with his father Hugh. It was definitely an impeccable screen play but it was the amazing performance from the actors that brought it home. I'm surprised there weren't more awards given out for it, especially for Oliver Jackson-Cohen for his portrayal of adult Luke Crain or Kate Siegel for her portrayal of adult Theo Crain. Near perfect!

Chances are you've already watched it. If not, watch it. If you have, watch it again... especially to go back and find all the "hidden" ghosts throughout every episode. Pretty cool. I give this TV show a haunting 9.5 out of 10!!!

No comments: