Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Puzzle Pieces...


So, at this point in May of 2018, I was still a client at Men's Firstep. I definitely had more time behind me than I did ahead of me, the finish line was in sight. By about February or March of 2018, my mindset about who I was or who I wanted to become was beginning to completely change. I was getting this picture painted for me, I believed by my Higher Power, that there was definitely a plan for me in place.  Post-graduation, I would be staying on at Firstep as a resident advisor. I would still be a part of the community per se, but I'd have more freedoms of a graduate. The pay was pretty nominal, but I thought that it would probably meet my needs at that time. The most important part would be getting to stay part of this community that had given me SUCH a better life. Although I had Megan, my family and SOOO many other positive things waiting for me on the outside... I was afraid to leave it.

At some point in early-to-mid April, they wanted a more concrete answer from me. Yes or No? Are you staying or going? I had several honest conversations with the director at the time, and it turned out that the pay was going to be even less than I thought it would be. I would still be able to live off of the amount, but there would be no way that I could afford to save up or do anything like buy a car or anything. After lots of prayer, and conversations with those closest to me, I had to accept the fact that the position with Firstep was NOT going to work. I think I put on a pretty good face, but I was absolutely devastated. I think, at least mentally, I had put all of my eggs into that basket. When that didn't work out, what exactly was I going to do? Firstep had given me a nice push in the right direction. I was newly sober and I would have a 6-month job history with a good reference, but I still wasn't certain that anyone "out there" would want me.

The most important part was that I trusted that God had the wheels in motion and that I could land somewhere. Before too long, Mom was sending me job openings from Indeed and Monster and all these other places. I'm pretty sure that I applied for about 43 gajillion jobs at OU. Not even a nibble from anywhere. My fears were coming true. I was right about the point where I thought I wasn't going to be able to keep cool anymore when Mom sent me a random Facebook ad. It was for a job posting for an outpatient treatment center, working in admissions. It sounded right up my alley, but the job posting was over a month old. I tried anyway. We obviously know that the story has a happy ending...

How often do we set out these intricate plans for life? "I'm going to accomplish A, then immediately move on to B and then eventually progress on to C." How often do those intricate plans actually work out seamlessly? We might accomplish B before we finish A. Sometimes we go from A all the way to J, then have to go all the way BACK to point A before it's all said and done. Beforehand, that was a perfect reason to get absolutely trashed. It was probably a good explanation as to why I was perfectly happy being stagnant. "If I don't even make the plans, I won't have to face the disappointment when those plans inevitably fail." Sometimes plans DON'T work. Often they don't. It's important (for me anyway) to keep at it AND to keep an open mind. Because, in the long run, you might not reach that original goal you set. But the goal you DID achieve can turn out to be far greater.

No comments: