Sunday, December 24, 2017

The TRUTH Behind the Coin...


If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm one of those weirdly sentimental people. The type of person that hates trading in my car, because of the "history" we've had... like I might hurt its feelings or something. After my old dog Larry ate my Easter candy one year, I BAWLED and cried in anger and frustration. It wasn't because I was a fat kid and my dog ate my candy, it was because of the fact that Mom didn't have a whole lot of money but still spent that money on candy and treats so that I would have a happy Easter. Certain things and events have meaning to them.

As far as sentiments go, I have an interesting history with the coins that I've gotten from Alcoholics Anonymous. Everything from that "desire" chip that doesn't have to be earned to those monthly chips. I think the biggest chip I've ever gotten was 11 months. It was just short of a year. If I want to look back at the biggest chip I've ever gotten while working an HONEST program... I'm honestly not sure. Whatever coin it was that I had in my pocket, it made a different "jingle" than just a regular coin you'd get out of a cash register. I'd hear that specific noise and it would refocus me on to AA. It would cause me to remember that, whether it was a 24-hour chip or a monthly chip, that if I can stay sober today I will have ANOTHER one of those chips to add to the collection.

There were times in the program that I liked the attention that came from standing up in front of the crowd and receiving a coin as they clapped for your achievement. Other times, I preferred to be a little more discreet. I'd either prefer to get my coin in a smaller meeting, sometimes I didn't get one at all. Usually, those were the times that I was kinda scraping the bottom, barely making it. I didn't feel worthy of standing in front of a crowd and receiving praise for a "job well done." Sometimes it was a legitimate feeling because I knew I wasn't working an honest program. There were other times that it was just another example of how I wasn't reaching out for help.

One time, when I had one of those "I really don't feel like getting my chip in front of people" moments, my sponsor Shannon shared an interesting perspective that I still remember today. I was thinking that the receiving of a sobriety chip was a way to congratulate me and give me praise for a job well done. Shannon suggested that, while there is definitely some positive affirmation to getting a chip in public, it is not the SOLE purpose of that ceremony. He talked about the fact that there can always be a brand new (or at least more new than I am) person to the program sitting in one of the seats. When that person sees someone stand up and get a monthly token, it is a sign of hope to that person that says "wow! There is an example of a person who is working the program and has made it that far! I think I can do it too!" It definitely made me feel a little selfish, but it made complete sense and is something I will try and remember from here on out.

My one month of sobriety came and went and I still haven't gotten a chance to go to a meeting to get my chip. By the time I have the next opportunity, it'll be nearly a month and a half. It was kind of frustrating at first, but then it just felt silly to get upset by it. We have a case here in the office for all of the chips. I grabbed a 24-hour coin as well as my one month. They're both jingling around in my pocket. These particular coins will be for me and will serve as a reminder. I definitely plan on earning many more of these bad boys, so maybe the NEXT one can serve as that sign of hope for a person who is new to the rooms of AA...

No comments: