Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Compliance vs. Surrender...


"Compliance" is defined as "a tendency to yield readily to others, especially in a weak and subservient way." To me, compliance is cold and sterile. Compliance is discussed when it comes to policies, procedures and laws. Kind of heartless. Job sites are expected to be in compliance with safety standards. When you get behind the wheel of a car, you are expected to be in compliance with proper insurance and licensing to show that you are allowed to drive that vehicle.

"Surrender" is defined as "to yield something to the possession or power of another; deliver up possession on demand or under duress." It sounds pretty similar to "compliance," right? Well, just to make sure, I looked up the meaning of duress and it means "compulsion by threat or force." So, someone surrenders after they really have no choice. The Japanese surrendered in World War II after the US bombed two of their cities with nuclear bombs, killing potentially hundreds of thousands of civilians. They realized that they could make the decision... surrender now or be bombed back into the stone age. To me, surrender has a much more emotional feeling. Like the picture above shows, people usually only surrender when they've been beaten down and have no other choice. "Please, for the love of God, MAKE IT STOP!"

When it comes to my alcoholism, I can either be in compliance with doing the little tasks, squeaking by with the absolute minimum on what it takes to keep me sober or I can completely surrender myself to the fact that I am completely powerless over alcohol and my life is totally unmanageable on my own. For the past seven years, I have to be honest and admit that I've lived my life in that compliance category. That is definitely what has caused me to fail, over and over again. I haven't put any HEART or feeling into my sobriety. I've just tried to squeak by with that absolute minimum. I'd be giving as little fuel as possible, but would still scratch my head in confusion when the fire would die out. "Wait. How in the world did I wind up in this situation... again?"

This time around, I know that I had to throw all of myself into this program. That meant body AND soul. I had to make myself physically, mentally and spiritually available. It meant taking me WAY outside of my comfort zone and jumping into something completely new and foreign. Nearly six months later and this new way of thinking has proven to be pretty successful. Not only am I physically sober, I consider myself spiritually sober as well. I am in a great space in mind and body. I'm FIVE DAYS AWAY from celebrating six months of sustained sobriety. I've continuously surprised myself with what I've been able to do for the last few months. I'm proud of myself. Yes, you heard that right. Me. I'm proud of myself. Sheesh. Who knew?

But, I know that it's not over. If anything, it's actually just starting. In 20 short days, I'll be leaving the safety behind the gates of FIRSTEP and that world is out there waiting for me. Byron's is waiting. But so are the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm not going to rest on my laurels and say "I've got this" like I've said in the past. I know that I have to make that right choice and keep myself out there. I'm actually EXCITED about what opportunities and LIFE waits for me on May 30th...

I CAN DO THIS!

No comments: